Funding options are available to make your education affordable. Call us today.
Please note that the Combination Welder II Program is only available in the main Fargo, ND location and not at the branch locations.
Course Objective: Prepares students for entry-level employment in manufacturing, structural steel, and pipe welding. The student will also obtain the ability to read and understand welding symbols, blueprint reading, and pipe layout for pipefitters and welders. This course includes 2 extra weeks of SMAW and 2 extra weeks of GTAW training. All classroom time is the same in both Combination Welder I and II Programs.
Course Description: The welding disciplines covered in this course are 5 weeks (200 hours) of Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) and Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW), 8 weeks (320 hours) of Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) plate and pipe Welding, and 3 weeks (120 hours) of Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW). Other areas of study include safety, basic trade math, equipment maintenance, welding terms/symbols, blueprint reading, pipe layout for pipefitters and welders, oxy-acetylene, plasma cutting training, and air carbon arc gouging.
Upon successful completion of the course the student should be:
- Able to understand the different wires and shielding gases associated with GMAW and FCAW
- Able to understand welding symbols, blueprints and pipe layouts
- Able to understand the different electrodes and the applications associated with SMAW
- Able to understand tungsten classifications and the applications associated with GTAW
- Equipped with the skills to perform plate weld qualifications in GMAW, FCAW & SMAW processes to the America Welding Society (AWS) D1.1/D1.1M current standards
- Equipped with the skills to perform pipe weld qualification in SMAW processes to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) current standards
- Equipped with the skills to perform a fillet weld qualification in GTAW process
*For Tuition Assistance through the Department of Defense tuition rate is $26.37 per hour.
*Please note: This course is only offered in our main Fargo, ND location & not at our branch locations.