Welding Programs for Veterans and Military Members

Serving your fellow citizens by your military service is honorable. Lynnes Welding Training appreciates what our military and veterans have done for us. We now want to help you achieve your civilian career goals. Here are some links for benefits specifically for military members, veterans and their families.

Questions or further assistance contact our School Certifying Official
Jess Johnson  701-373-0658

GI Bill® funding: LWT’s 120 hour classes and higher are approved for Veterans education benefits on the GI Bill® (including Chapter 31 VA Vocational Rehabilitation). Veterans may, in some situations, transfer their GI Bill® benefits to their Children or Spouse. For more information, go to https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

If you’re a Service member, Veteran, or family member interested in education and training opportunities, you can apply for your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You can also manage your current benefits.  To apply for benefits, visit www.vets.gov or www.ebenefits.va.gov.

MN GI Bill: The Minnesota GI Bill program provides assistance to eligible Minnesota Veterans, currently serving military, National Guard and Reserve members who served after September 11, 2001, and eligible spouses and dependents.

The MN GI Bill program provides a maximum lifetime benefit of $10,000 up to age 62.

Eligible participants can use the benefit in Higher Education, On-the-job training/Apprenticeship, or License and Certification.

This program is different than the Federal GI Bill (Montgomery, Post 9-11, Veterans Education Assistance Program, Dependents Education Assistance Program, or Vocational Rehabilitation.) For more information on those benefits see the MDVA page on Federal GI Bill programs.

MN GI Bill Eligibility Requirements

  • Veteran who is serving or has served honorably in the U.S. armed forces at any time, or;
  • A non-veteran who has served honorably for a total of five credible years or more cumulatively as a member of the Minnesota National Guard or any other active or reserve component of the United States armed forces, and any part of that service occurred on or after September 11, 2001, or;
  • A surviving spouse or dependent of a person who has served in the military at any time and who has died or has a 100% VA-determined permanent and total disability as a direct result of military service and eligible to receive federal education benefits under Chapter 33 Fry Scholarship or Chapter 35. Spouse and Dependent applicants must provide a Certificate of Eligibility.
  • Minnesota resident – see specific program for resident requirements.

For questions, call 888-Link-Vet (888-546-5838) Create an account and apply online!

Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program (TA):  If you are an active member in the military, you may be eligible for TA Program through the DoD.  Prior to Enrollment each service member should talk with their Education Counselors.

Here are some links to help get you started.


Army National Guard



Air Force

Coast Guard

  • Tuition Assistance will help a service member pay for their Tuition, but not fees.
  • Tuition Assistance will help pay for a portion of a service member’s Tuition but not all of it.
  • Tuition Assistance will pay up to 16 semester hours of TA-funded courses per fiscal year [or 24 quarter hours or 240 clock hours].     240 * $16.66 = $3998.40

Here are some sites for our ND Veterans

Additionally:  If you are considering using your benefits and would need additional loans or to see if you qualify for the Federal Pell Grant Program, the option to apply for Title IV assistance is available as well. The Combination Welder I Program and the Combination Welder II Program are eligible for Direct Loans while the Combination Welder II Program is also eligible for the Federal Pell Grant Program, provided the student is eligible.

‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.”