1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
This can be done in 1 of 4 ways.
- Online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- FAA Access to CPS online. The school submits this at https://faaaccess.ed.gov or through EDExpress. The signature page must be printed, and the student/parent must sign. These signature pages must be kept by the school even if the student doesn’t receive aid from your school.
- Paper FAFSA
- FAFSA on the phone. Call 1-800-433-3243 and tell the representative that they want to fill out the FAFSA by phone. Typically takes about an hour and they will receive a paper copy within 7-10 days and then they need to sign it and return it. Not a preferred way to apply.
LWT School Code is G42235 (for both Fargo and Bismarck)
2021-2022 FAFSA for start dates between July 1st, 2021 – June 30th, 2022
2019 tax and income information needed
2022-2023 FAFSA for start dates between July 1st, 2022 – June 30th, 2023.
2020 tax and income information needed
Please Note: It is recommended to create an FSA ID when filling out FAFSA to be able to correct information if needed or for ease of use. You and your parent, if you are a dependent student, will need to have an FSA ID login and password to sign your FAFSA online, otherwise it will be rejected. For more information on dependent or independent student please visit this link https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency
IRS Direct Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT): this tool is optional; however, it is recommended to use. If the Tax form used, tax status reported, and address used to file taxes match with the IRS have the IRS DRT will import all your needed tax information into your FAFSA for you. Please visit this link for more information on the IRS DRT https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/1920/help/irs-drt
Sign and submit your FAFSA!
Once you complete your FAFSA it may take up to 72 hours to come through to LWT system. Once the FAFSA is received you will be contacted, supplemental information may be needed before a Financial Aid Award can be prepared.
2. For Direct Loans, borrowers must complete the following before any Direct Loan Disbursements can be made:
- Complete Entrance Counseling:
A student must complete entrance counseling before receiving any Direct Loans from the Department of Education. This can be done online at www.studentloans.gov. You will need your FSA ID to access this counseling. This is an interactive session that provides tips and tools on managing your student loan debt and understanding your loan responsibilities.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN):
A student must complete the MPN before receiving any Direct Loans from the Department of Education. This can be done online at www.studentloans.gov. You will need your FSA ID to access the MPN. This is a legally binding contract between you and the Department of Education and contains the terms and conditions of your loan. Please read the promissory note in full before you sign it.
3. Prior to Graduating
A student must complete exit counseling before graduating or leaving school. This can be done online at www.studentloans.gov. You will need your FSA ID to access this counseling. The exit counseling explains your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.